Russell Hill Town Forest
Falling within the view shed of Mount Hunger, Mount Watatic and Mount Wachusett, this parcel retains the characteristics it had when it was owned by the Adams family in the 1700’s. The picture perfect pastoral field is a main feature of this acquisition, home to a wide range of pasture loving floral and fauna Located in northeast Ashburnham it comprises 205 acres of un-fragmented forestland. It is now owned by the Town of Ashburnham’s Conservation Commission as a result of another successful collaboration between ACT, the Town of Ashburnham, the Mount Grace Conservation Land Trust and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. There are several ephemeral streams that drain into the headwaters of Brown Brook, a feeder stream to Phillips Brook, eventually connecting to the Nashua River. This project contributes to water quality preservation and flood prevention for a sizable watershed. The money for the purchase of Russell Hill came from grants funded by the National Park Service, Massachusetts Energy and Environmental Affairs Self-Help Program and a private donor. Volunteers to extend and maintain a trail are always needed on this property. Contact us to help.